Starting out in January 1992 in the midst of a major recession certainly ensured that "Sun Traffic Signals" (as we were known then) became an efficient specialist provider of Temporary Traffic Lights. Our customer service levels also helped us achieve rapid early growth!
Although we started out as specialist providers of temporary traffic light hire, it quickly became obvious to us that there was a wider need for highly-specialised, packaged, Traffic Management services.
Our clients were soon asking us to become involved in the planning, design and establishment of larger traffic management projects across a much larger area supplementing our temporary traffic signal works.
As a result, in the years since, we have opened additional depots, pioneered the early adoption of new technology and equipment in order to maintain our "edge" through continuous improvement.
- 1991 Christmas Eve, Ahead of official launch, our MD delivers and sets up our first job (3 way lights at a Yeovil site).
- 1992-1994 Opened depots in Oxfordshire, Surrey and Bournemouth areas.
- 1993 Became Incorporated & registered as "Sun Traffic Signals LTD" at companies house.
- 1996 Provided traffic controls for our first event client.
- 1997 Recognising the significance for our clients, we became early adopters of Vehicle Tracking Technology.
- 1999 Pioneered the introduction of cable-less temporary traffic lights and provided traffic control equipment for our first Glastonbury Festival.
- 2000 Opened our New Tewkesbury Depot.
- 2001 Pioneered the introduction of highly efficient LED technology into cable-less temporary traffic lights.
- 2003 Provided Traffic controls and operators for our first Royal Ascot & British F1 Grand Prix at Silverstone.
- 2007 Moved into Sun Towers and opened our in-house training centre.
- 2011 Entered the VMS market buying & introducing the first colour matrix sign to UK hire customers.
- 2012 Changes company name to "Sun Traffic Ltd". Gained Quality Assurance ISO9001 and National Highways Sector Scheme Approval. Provided Colour VMS to 2012 Olympics for Weymouth Sailing.
- 2013 Rebrands and launches new website. Expands VMS hire fleet. Buys and launches new "EVO" pedestrian phase compatible traffic light equipment to clients.
- 2014 Pioneered the use and development of NEW Low-Ride-Height, user-friendly TM vehicles. We were also first in our sector to provide £50M public liability indemnity for clients at NO EXTRA COST. Achieves Achilles UVDB Verified B2 status. Due to demand, adds more EVO and VMS equipment to equipment hire fleet(s).
- 2015 Trialled the limited use of "paperless" mobile working with Tablets for site staff.
- 2017 Fully implemented the use of tablets for full "paperless" site operations.